Rosewood Hotel, ca. 1916
(Photo: State Library of Qld)

(Note: Alexander McPherson was licensee from 5th May, 1914 until 5th October, 1915 when the licence transferred to August Varendorff)

Hotels played an important role in the development of regional towns and usually there was more than one in a town and in some cases there was a pub on every corner. Apart from selling liquor, hotels were places which provided meals and accommodation and were places for the community to gather for meetings and celebrations. They were run by Licensed Victuallers, which is a formal name for the landlord of a public house or similar licensed establishment. Many Victuallers were women. A potential publican needed to meet certain conditions and had to apply to the Licensing Court (held monthly) to run a public house. When transferring the license, both the existing publican and the applicant had to give notice of their intent to the Licensing Court for approval. The license had to be renewed annually and licenses were also required for Billiards and Bagatelle when played within the house.

There have been hotels in the Rosewood township since December, 1857.

The Rising Sun Hotel (No 1) est. 1857
The Rising Sun Hotel (No 2) – est. 1874 rebuilt 1884, 1909
The Rosewood Hotel – est. 1879 rebuilt 1914
The Commercial Hotel – est. 1884 rebuilt 1911
The Royal Hotel – est. 1890 rebuilt 1934 then became the Royal George Hotel

The Two Rising Sun Hotels post

 by Jane Schy