St Brigid’s Catholic Church, Rosewood
(Photo: Kathryn Rodgers  Source: Picture Ipswich)

(Work in progress)

Congregational Church (1875)
Rev D. Mossop 1875; Rev. J. Walker; Rev. James Davies; Rev. T. Roper; Rev. W. Brown; Rev. H. Gibson; Rev. Christian Berndt 1888-1892; Rev. H. Rawlings 1893-1898; Rev. R. Figis 1899-1903; Rev. Albert Edward West 1903-1908; Rev. Arthur Castlemaine 1909; Rev. A. McKinlay; Rev. C. A. Capern; Rev. N. Finch; Rev. J. W. Harper; Rev. H. J. Taudevin; Rev. N. C. Watt 1937

At the end of 1874 a meeting of the faithful was held at the home of Samuel Waight and after a few months it was agreed to establish a church in Rosewood. The church was opened on 24th May, 1875 in John Street on an acre of land donated by William Mathew at a cost of £125. The distinctive bell tower we see today was added in 1923.

A new church was erected on the site in 1953 and opened in 1954. The original buildings were sold for removal, and became the Masonic Hall in William Street. The church hall was built in 1963. In 1977 it become part of the Uniting Church in Australia.

Wesleyan (Methodist) Church (1880)
A new Wesleyan chapel was opened by the Rev. Robson, the circuit minister, on the 17th May, 1880 at Tallegalla. The church cost £50 and was opened free of debt because of the efforts of the residents of the district. In 1908 it was replaced by a new building constructed by Charles Ridsdale. The new Tallegalla Methodist Church was opened on the 3rd May by Rev. A. G. Smith. A church hall was added and dedicated by Rev. F. J. Harris on 10th September, 1948. The hall was used as the Sunday School and as a meeting place for recreational activities. It is now being used by the Rosewood Men’s Shed.

Memory from Marg Schindler
The church was moved away – not sure where to. The hall was rotated 90 degrees and converted to the shop-front in the late 80s by Dennis Herrick. Dennis and his young family lived there into the 90’s before moving away from the district. 

Primitive Methodist Church (1882)
The first church was built in April, 1882 on half an acre of land facing John Street. It was donated by John William Vance. (cnr Church Lane & John Street) In 1893 the building, which the Anglicans had been using, was purchased by the Church of England.

St Brigid’s Catholic Church (1885 rebuilt 1910)
Rev. Father Timothy Kelleher 1915-1920; Father McKenna 1920 -1927; Rev P. J. O’Rourke 1927 – 1947; Father M. J. O’Connell

Rosewood settlers attended Mass at Ipswich, sometimes making the journey on foot. The first Mass in Rosewood, conducted by by Rev. Pere Brunn, was held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Moran in 1872 . Rev. Father Horan celebrated Mass at the home of Mr. James Ryan of the Rising Sun Hotel around 1874. This venue continued to be used throughout the years as it passed into the Sloane family’s hands in 1881 and on until the opening of the first church in 1885.  The church was opened by Archbishop Dunne. The church was built by R. J. Murphy and was constructed of hardwood with a shingled roof, and dedicated as “St. Brigid’s”. It is situated in Railway Street.

In 1910 the present church, “the finest wooden church in the diocese”, was opened by His Grace Archbishop Duhig. It was built from the fine timbers found in the Scrub. The old church was used as a parish hall for some time and in 1916 a presbytery was built. The Sisters of Mercy came to the parish in 1922 and the presbytery was converted into a convent.

This magnificent church is said to be the largest wooden church in Australia, and arguably, the most beautiful. The church houses a rare ecclesiastical mural painted by William Bustard.

St Brigid’s Church was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register on 21st October, 1992. Although the church building had been slowly leaning for many years, it was deemed unsafe in 2020. A project to straighten and restore the church is underway.

Church of Christ (1885)
Bro. Troy. 1883; Edward Bagley 1885; A. Mordaunt; James Park; Evangelist H. Bassard 1922-1926; W. J. Campbell 1926; Rev C. E. Saull 1937

In 1883, a Church of Christ was formed in the home of Mr and Mrs Colvin. In January, 1883 the first organised Church service was held in the home of Mr and Mrs T. F. Stubbin, about three miles from Rosewood. In 1884, services were held in the Farmer’s Hall then in February, 1885 they erected a church building on the corner of Matthew Street and Walloon Road. It was moved the same year to Albert Street. In 1922 the old building was sold and a new chapel was erected.

Baptist Church (Lanefield) (1887)
Rev. N. C. Watt 1887; Thomas Vigis Oct.,1887-1888; W. Petie 1888; Edwin Robert Makin 1890-1892; Thomas Uren Symonds 1892-1897; Rev. G. H. Leigton 1898-1899; Rev. J. Glover 1900-1902; Ezekiel Barnett 1902; Thomas E. Ashworth 1916; Rev A. J. Chisholm 1937

A hardwood building 36 ft x 26 ft with 15 ft walls, and lined throughout for the Rosewood Baptist Church was completed by Alfred Colthup and David Hopper and opened 8th April, 1887. The Architect was R. Gailey from Brisbane. The church was situated at Stevens Road near the corner of Henderson Road. The work of the church was moved to Rosewood in 1959 and the church was sold for demolition. Mr Collier bought the building and used the timber to build his house near the old Tallegalla railway station.

Salvation Army (1887)
Sergeant Perrem 1893; Brigadier Brutnell 1901; Adjutant Rudd 1908; Adjutant V. Ford 1930

A branch of the Salvation Army was started in Rosewood in 1887 in the Farmer’s Hall where they continued to gather thereafter.

Church of England (1893)
Rev. W. S. Heathcote 1890; Rev. H. Gradwell; Rev. W. S. Heathcote 1906-1908; Rev. A. E. Attkins 1909-1911; Rev. J. R. Needham 1911; Rev. H. E. Trask 1912; Rev. T. Wilson-Hely 1912-1916; Rev. George Neale 1917-1921; Rev. T. Edwards 1922-1923; Rev. T. H. Clark 1924-1925; Rev. A. W. Gilbert 1926

In 1893, the Anglican community bought the disused building formerly occupied by the Primitive Methodist Church and enlarged it. For three years prior to that services were held in Mr and Mrs P. Adams’ home and the assemblies were visited by clergy from Ipswich. Rev. W. S. Heathcote was the first minister. A new church was built in 1930 and dedicated on 5th April, under the name of St Luke. (Cost £1,000)

Lutheran Church (St Matthews) (1930)
Pastor Dohler 1930

A new church building measuring 32 x 20 feet for the Lutheran Church was erected in May, June, 1930 on an allotment in Matthew Street. The contractor was J. Bowles. For 18 months prior to that services had been held in a private home.

Researched and compiled by Jane Schy