Bernard “Barney” Sloane

Occupation: Bricklayer: Carrier: Proprietor of the Rising Sun Hotel
Birth: c.1823  Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Immigration: 9 March, 1833  Surrey 11 (Convict Ship) arrived Port Jackson, New South Wales
Land Purchase: 17 July, 1858  42 acres Jeebropilly, Churchill, NSW
Death: 25 February, 1888 Rosewood, Queensland, Australia
Religion: Roman Catholic
Burial: Ipswich General Cemetery
Father: Peter SLOANE (~1785-1855)
Mother: Catherine LINNE (1796-1856)

1st Spouse: Mary Ann GALLAGHER
Occupation: Kitchen Maid
Birth: c. 1822 Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland
Immigration: 17 August, 1840 Margaret (3) arrived New South Wales. (Aged 17)
Convict Notes: Convicted 4 April, 1840 in Antrim – 7 years for stealing clothes
Aliases: Mary Ann Anderson, Mary Malton, Mary Ann Melton, Mary Riley
Death: 14 December, 1857 Laidley Creek, Ipswich, Queensland
Burial: 15 December, 1857 Ipswich Cemetery
Religion: Roman Catholic
Marriage: 25 May 1842, St Michael’s, Bathurst, New South Wales

Peter (1843-1923) = Emelia YOUNG
Jane (1844-1854)
William (1845-1942) = Mary Ann MCNAMARA
Patrick William (1846-1857)
Catherine Isabella Agnes (1847-1900) = Michael PENDER
Rose Anna (1850-1938) = George James BRASSINGTON
Jane Anne (1854-1935) = John KNOX

2nd Spouse:    Margaret DWYER
Occupation: Proprietor of the Rising Sun Hotel
Birth: 27 April 1823, Bansha and Kilmoyler, Tipperary, Ireland
Death: 20 August, 1907 Rosewood, Qld, Australia
Burial: 22 August, 1907 Ipswich General Cemetery
Father: William DWYER
Mother: Cath LANDERS
Marriage: 8 August, 1859 St Mary’s Catholic Church, Ipswich (Rev W. McGinty)

Bernard Jeremiah (1863-1919) = Catherine FARRELL
Mary Ellen (1865-1948) = Michael FARRELL

Bernard aged 10, his brother Charles aged 12 and sister Catherine aged 7, landed at Port Jackson on 9th March, 1833 with their mother Catherine. They were passengers on the “Surry 2”, one of five ships that bought female convicts to Sydney in 1833. They were among the free settlers on board the ship and came to join their father Peter, who had been convicted for counterfeiting a Scotch bank note with intent to defraud certain of his Majesty’s subjects. He had been sentenced to transportation for life. Peter arrived in 1823 on the Convict ship “Regalia”. He was assigned to Catherine shortly after she arrived in May, 1833. They lived in the Hunter Valley. In July, 1841 they were living at Muswellbrook when Peter was granted a Conditional Pardon.

At some stage Bernard went to Bathurst, probably for work. He married Mary Ann Gallagher there around 1846.

This is a description of Mary Ann from her Convict records. She was a Kitchen Maid, Roman Catholic, single, 4’10” tall, had a ruddy and much freckled complexion, brown hair, grey eyes, nose short and a little cocked, full featured, had lost a front tooth (right side upper jaw), and the letters “ZQMAS” were nearly defaced on the upper part of left arm. She received a Certificate of Freedom 8th September, 1847.

He moved his family from Bathurst to Kangaroo Point, which at that time was a very busy centre. South Brisbane was practically the terminus of all the country. His brother Charles and his family came too.

Bernard was a bricklayer and his brother Charles was a butcher. Boiling down establishments were trading well and provided plenty of work for the brothers. About 1855 they came to Ipswich and started a butchering business on the corner of Brisbane and Ellenborough Streets, the future site of the Queensland Times. George Dowden, cabinet maker and joiner, set up business next door around the site of the Government Savings Bank.

Barney and Charles sold their business to Michael Ford, a carrier, for a team of white bullocks which Ford referred to as his “white mice”. Ford then established his butchering business there next to Steven’s Saddlery Emporium.

The Sloanes moved across to the other side of Brisbane Street to the site where Messrs Bostocks later built their premises. George Dowden was on the corner.

They lived in a wooden cottage on the site of Mr T. Palmer’s wine rooms. They had eight children.

Barney’s parents came up from Sydney and his father, Peter, established a cooperage on the property. Barney and Charles became carriers traveling out to the Condamine. Barney was trusted by all of the storekeepers and they were always heading out west. Their father died in 1855, followed by their mother in 1856, and then Barney’s wife died in December, 1857. The accident happened a few yards from Laidley Creek. Mary Ann was thrown from a dray and one of the wheels passed over her ankle completely shattering it. She was taken to a nearby hut and Dr Challinor was sent for. He found that it would be necessary to amputate her leg below the knee. She suffered for 20 days before she finally succumbed to the consequences of her injury. One can only imagine what medical treatment and pain relief was available in 1857.

Her funeral attracted some interest as reported in the Moreton Bay Courier, 19th December, 1857.
Mrs B. Sloane who had her leg shattered by a dray, a short time back, as noticed in a former communication, died on Monday morning; she was buried yesterday. At the funeral a scene of confusion was occasioned by an injudicious attempt on the part of Rev. Mr, Deacon to conduct the burial service in a catholic enclosure. It appears that some of the family are catholics and some protestants. Mr. Deacon was requested to officiate on this occasion, and entered the ground for that purpose, but as he was about to commence speaking, he was interrupted by several persons and compelled to leave the place. It is very clear that the friends of the deceased were decidedly in fault. If they wished for the services of a protestant minister, they had no right to make use of the catholic buying-ground. Had they thought of this in time, the unseemly and annoying occurrence might have been prevented.

Barney bought 42 acres of land at Jeebropilly in July, 1858 (Portion No 99) and later acquired Portion 100.

He married again in 1859 and then shifted his residence further down Ellenborough Street. He and his new wife Margaret had two more children. The family stayed there until the Southern and Western Railway was built and they needed to move their carrying business westward. They ended up in Dalby where Barney kept the hotel, the “Sportsman’s Arms” in Cunningham Street (12 May, 1874 -1876).  His son Peter continued with the carrying business. Peter eventually bought the “One Mile Hotel” in West Ipswich in January, 1896 and ran it until 1901.

Opposite Zaunders’ corner stood the Sportsman’s Arms, kept by P. Dowling, and afterwards by Barney Sloan, a bullock teamster, who came from Ipswich. “Barney” was a great character, and was very proud of the high quality and genuineness of his rum. He ultimately returned to Ipswich. [The Dalby Herald,  23 December, 1926]

Barney came to Rosewood in January, 1880 after he purchased the Rising Sun Hotel. He ran it until he died in 1888.

After his death his widow Margaret became the Licensee until she passed it over to their son Bernard Jeremiah and his wife Catherine nee Farrell. Bernard jnr ran the hotel until his death in 1919 after which Catherine “Cissy” took over.

Researched & compiled by Jane Schy


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.